Saturday, January 12, 2013

One Word 2013

Desperate: overwhelming urgency; reckless or dangerous because of despair

"Desperate is a strong word. That's why I like it. People who are desperate are rude, frantic and reckless. Desperate people are explosive, focused, and uncompromising in their desire to get what they want. Someone who is desperate will crash through the veil of niceness. The New Testament is filled with desperate people--people who barged into private dinners, screamed at Jesus until they had his attention, or destroyed the roof of someone's house to get to him. People who are desperate for spirituality very seldom worry about the mess they make on their way to be with Jesus." (Taken from Messy Spirituality by Michael Yaconelli).

It may not be the kindest or most appealing word. It may not even be appropriate. And truthfully, it scares me a little. But as we start a new year, it is a word that I hope will change me, that will become me.

Recklessly pushing through the crowd just to touch Jesus' cloak, desperate for healing. Turning over tables in desperation for justice.  Desperate for more of Him and less of me.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I think that's a great and scary word. I'm sure God will show off, in all that He is going to teach you!

Sybil@PeaceitallTogether said...

Great word! We must be desperate for Him or we are bound to follow ourselves instead.

Mark Langham said...

Yup. So true. So convicting. Thank you.